[clug] karmic problems with sound in MMORPG games.

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Sun Jan 3 15:35:13 MST 2010

2010/1/4 Wesley Bruce <wesleybruce at iinet.net.au>:
> There are only a few top class games, ie MMORPG games, that are Linux
> compatible. Second life via snowglobe, planeshift and worldforge. Most
> other games are clones or copies of windows games or games that are 5 or
> more years old. If Linux is to keep up with or even replace Microsoft it
> needs to track these games and stay compatible with them.

I guess the problem is that free software isn't trying to compete (or
become) Windows. We don't _need_ to track or follow anything.

We just use it because it's a better way. To quote Linus Torvalds:
"I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will be a completely
unintentional side effect."

If you want to play games, lots of games, your life will be easier on
Windows. Dual boot if you want to.

That said, I have no idea where secondlife installs itself to. You'll
need to find that out yourself, but it's probably somewhere like under
/opt or /usr/local/.

When you see a command that says:
"mv /path/to/secondlife/..."

You need to translate "/path/to/secondlife/" into the actual location.
Hence why they are using English here.

Another example:
/copy/this/somewhere/that/some/program/sits/and/not/what/this/literally/says/...

You should have some basic idea of what you're doing when following
instructions. Either that, or have an install disc handy!

Thirdly, Karmic sux.

Finally, the second post on that thread might have a much easier
solution for you:
"http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgersar.netsons.org%2F%3Fp%3D70&sl=auto&tl=en"

Either way, you need to know _where_ secondlife is installed, so that
you know where to /copy/files/to/..

-c