[clug] OT: very short term wifi broadband?

Carlo Hamalainen carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 01:45:09 MST 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Ian Bardsley <ifb777 at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> Despite an evening of Googling and trying a variety of set ups, my device
> refused to "Hot Plug".  The only way that I could get a connection was to
> plug in the USB dongle and reboot.  After this process, network manager
> would show the device as connected but I was unable to browse to the outside
> world until I had disconnected and reconnected sometimes 2 and occasionally
> 3 times.  Whilst not a critical issue,  I found this behaviour a little
> annoying (me not being a tolerant person).

That's pretty annoying. Out of curiosity, which distribution of Linux
are you running?

> Following the guide provided in the above link I now have a fully functional
> mobile broadband facility that hot plugs,  retains the ability to emulate a
> USB memory stick and connects and disconnects on demand.  The software also
> monitors usage and provides a bargraph of usage for both the current and
> previous month. neat!

That's pretty good. The only way I have found to see the balance of
the Telstra MF626 modem is to connect using minicom and give it some
long command. A menu pops up but I had trouble actually getting it to
do anything because it kept spitting out some AT message at me
(reminds me of the days of 14.4k modems and messing with mammoth init
strings and other silly things).

It sounds like the Vodaphone option is better than the Telstra one at
the moment.

--
Carlo Hamalainen
http://carlo-hamalainen.net