[clug] OT: very short term wifi broadband?

Ian Bardsley ifb777 at tpg.com.au
Sun Feb 28 00:20:19 MST 2010

G'Day all

Thought I would just add to this original post for the benefit of anyone
else who may be looking at mobile broadband.

Based on Carlo's experience, I too purchased The Telstra package but had
a couple of annoying issues with the functionality.

Despite an evening of Googling and trying a variety of set ups, my
device refused to "Hot Plug".  The only way that I could get a
connection was to plug in the USB dongle and reboot.  After this
process, network manager would show the device as connected but I was
unable to browse to the outside world until I had disconnected and
reconnected sometimes 2 and occasionally 3 times.  Whilst not a critical
issue,  I found this behaviour a little annoying (me not being a
tolerant person).

So I decided to look into the Mobile Broadband issue further and
stumbled upon Betavines's support for Vodafone's mobile broadband
service.  This organisation is offering open source drivers in support
of Vodafones range of hardware including software that emulates the
Windoze approach of providing software that manages connection and other
features.
http://www.betavine.net/bvportal/resources/datacards/os/ubuntu .
<http://www.betavine.net/bvportal/resources/datacards/os/ubuntu>  will
get you to the detail of this.

I therefor returned to Telstra package to the place of purchase and
after some argument obtained a refund.  I then purchased a Vodafone
prepaid mobile broadband package, which was cheaper at $79 with 1 Gb of
download and a more favourable set of recharge options.

Following the guide provided in the above link I now have a fully
functional mobile broadband facility that hot plugs,  retains the
ability to emulate a USB memory stick and connects and disconnects on
demand.  The software also monitors usage and provides a bargraph of
usage for both the current and previous month. neat!

With this, I am now a happy little Vegemite.  So if mobile broadband is
on your horizon,  add this little package to your research.  It may just
save you a little annoyance.

Have a great week

Regards

Ian Bardsley