[clug] Linux compatible external Thermometer

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Tue Feb 23 14:55:17 MST 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Paul wrote:

>> I enjoy using various cheap USB devices for this. Easy to get working.
>> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Laptop-PC-USB-Thermometer-Measure-Temperature-Data-Log_W0QQitemZ330388178644QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Components?hash=item4cecab86d4

> So how do you read the device data? is it in the /proc filesys?

I'm led to believe it changes per-device.  Multiple devices are sold with
identical packaging and branding....

Those I have heard of:
  - use libusb to get the data using temper-1.0
  - read from the device you get at /dev/ttyUSBx
  - read from the keyboard device which is presented(!)
   - I have actually seen this one in action.  Linux conveniently connected
it to the console for me, so the shell was continually attempting to
execute, "32.0", "32.5" - that sort of thing :-)
     - you should probably consider that security-wise when plugging random
USB devices into your machine :-)

> thanks

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.