[clug] Linux compatible external Thermometer

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 00:32:56 MST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:05, Paul <mylists at wilsononline.id.au> wrote:
> just as a hobby I would like to start measure the outside/inside temps and I
> would be interested if anyone has used some sort serial or USB thermometer
>  on there Linux box?
> Note preferably a cheaper device ie around $20

Pity you said $20.  I use a thing called a HA7-net
(http://www.talk1wire.com/HA7Net--Ethernet-1-Wire-Host-Adapter_p_22.html)
for monitoring computer rooms. You can build you own cheap USB
interfaces to 1 wire bus sensors.  They are dirt cheap.

And best of all they have (and report) serial numbers per sensor.