[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 03:30:01 MST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Karun Dambiec <kdambiec at ieee.org> wrote:

> I dont think its possible to make the assumption more people would
> understand English than Dutch, without knowing more about the audience and
> doing a survey of them.

Fair enough. I was there and it's my assessment based on the people I
spoke to and the audience response to my presentation in English. The
women in the audience who smiled at me and nodded or shook their heads
at the appropriate times may have been flirting with me (it's a burden
I carry) and the men catching my eye and nodding sagely may all have
been feigning attention and utterly bewildered.

The crowd of people speaking English at the reception afterwards (with
tangential asides in a panoply of languages) who provided a linguistic
background to the series of English conversations I had... were not
exclusively Dutch.

I get cultural sovereignty in the language space. I'm not saying
"Don't speak Dutch in Holland (sorry, The Netherlands)" I'm just
saying that communication is about getting as many people
understanding stuff as you can.

--
MC