[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Wed Feb 17 20:45:37 MST 2010

On 18/02/10 2:25 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
> I still can't buy the whole "use the best tool for the job regardless"
> ethos. That kind of thinking is what continues to permeate the
> existing vendor lock-in model, which is bad for users, business,
> government, everyone.
>
> iPods might be the best tool for the job, but you're locked into
> iTunes and Apple's store. Take Internode for example. Because they
> bought Apple iPhones, they had to then go out and install Microsoft
> MTA. There's something wrong with this picture.

Then iPods/iPhone/iWhatever were not the best tool for the jobs, just
the cool tool for the job. When selecting the "best tool for the job" it
is necessary to define what the best tool is (what it will do) and how
will it will do it (metrics). This will allow you to generate a short
list of acceptable tools (allow be the luxury of infinite resources for
this discussion, please). Your then need to carry out some form of trade
off analysis and risk analysis before you select the "best tool". Part
of this is to ask questions such as,

  * does this fix how strategy? This should be obvious from setting out
the initial "what will it do?"
  * Do any of these proposed short listed tool lead down a blind alley.
This is what I think your point is driving at.

Most often though, as we all know, people skip this stuff, have a poor
idea of what they are after, may not be able to see the very long term
effects of choices made, twist the process to get their hands on the
latest must haves, or list a little to much to the sale men and media
trying to sell them these things.

Jeff.