[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Tue Feb 16 21:00:27 MST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Lana Brindley <lanabrindley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, I love this topic!
>
> I've written something about it too, so I won't repeat myself here, but will
> engage in some linkspam instead:
> http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com/2009/06/linux-zealotry.html

Thanks for that, an interesting read.

You seem to be saying that we shouldn't be focused on getting everyone
to use free software, nor to fight to destroy Microsoft's market
share. Rather, we should simply just present free software as an
option, and then leave it at that. Take it or leave it. If they want
it, they can take it and join. If not, then they are free to do what
they please.

I really like that, and I agree.

Your last sentence seems to contradict your point of view however,
when you say that we are indeed fighting against a monopoly.
"The cause, after all, is software freedom, not Linux on every
desktop. Quite frankly, software freedom is something I'm more than
willing to fight for, but a monopoly? Isn't that what we're fighting
against?"

So are we fighting against Microsoft, or aren't we?

As an aside, Free software doesn't mean "Linux." So moving people to
free software wouldn't create a monopoly on the desktop, because there
are lots of other options. And anyway, even if free software does
become a monopoly, users still have choice - something they don't have
at the moment.

Really, it all breaks down to your world view - open source 'cause
it's cool, or free software because proprietary software is evil
(broadly speaking).

-c