[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Tue Feb 16 20:48:58 MST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Lana Brindley <lanabrindley at gmail.com> wrote:

> You say that driving Linux adoption is the main reason for integrating
> proporietary software support in Linux desktops. But you don't say why
> having more people running Linux is a good thing. *Why* does a little
> penguin die every time someone refuses to change? You cite Linus'
> "unintended side effect" line, but are still arguing for widespread
> adoption, which I don't really understand.

The article sways back and forth deliberately. I wasn't really
providing any answers, but asking questions.

> Some may call me elitist, but I really think it comes down to assessing our
> priorities as a a community. If the community exists solely to drive market
> share, then I'm not really interested in being involved. If the community
> exists simply because we're a group of people excited about free software,
> then I'll be in the front row.

Yeah, so this is really what it boils down to (which I ask a few times
in my articles). Is our focus on competing for market share, or just
making cool free software?

If it's the latter, then it doesn't matter if anyone else uses free
software or not. If we're competing for the former, then it does
matter.
The more people who use free software, the better it becomes. So
pushing the adoption of free software doesn't have to be about
corporate market share.

-c