[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Feb 16 20:33:10 MST 2010

On 17/02/2010, at 14:19 , Lana Brindley wrote:

> Some may call me elitist, but I really think it comes down to assessing our
> priorities as a a community. If the community exists solely to drive market
> share, then I'm not really interested in being involved. If the community
> exists simply because we're a group of people excited about free software,
> then I'll be in the front row.

Heh heh… the EVE players here might interpret what you've just said as, "oh shucks, we didn't want that Sovereignty anyway" :P

But seriously, for me the Linux phenomenon has always been about making the best use of "old" hardware.  Back in the day, that was putting last year's gaming machine to use as a dns/router/web server for the home network.  These days, it's about having a dns/router/web server for the office network which doesn't require painful software licence management.

The iCalendar spec supports free/busy time.  Now we just need a convenient way of booking meetings with friends who use iCalendar-compliant tools (kOrganizer, Apple iCal, Mozilla Sunbird), without having to subscribe to their calendars first (I don't need to know when my friend is taking his grandmother to the dentist, just when he's free to come see Avatar for the third time).

Alex