[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Tue Feb 16 19:50:59 MST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 3:35 AM, Robert Brockway
<robert at timetraveller.org> wrote:
> When OSS solutions have failed to work it is virtually always because there
> was a problem integrating with a proprietary solution where the protocol in
> question is not well understood.

Right. So as free software users/developers, how much should we be
integrating our stuff with proprietary systems?

On one hand, we don't want to perpetuate the vendor lock-in model. On
the other, if users (like Internode) can't integrate FOSS with their
"required" proprietary systems, they will continue to use adopt
proprietary systems and forego free software options. We simply can't
educate everyone on avoiding vendor lock-in in the first instance (if
Internode hadn't bought their Apple products, maybe they would be OK.
I mean, Google does does not use Exchange). So if users paint
themselves into a locked-in proprietary corner, do we care? Should we
just continue to make great products and build technology for us.. If
they want to migrate to free software, then we can help. If they want
to continue to use their proprietary systems, then they can do that
too.

I guess it depends on our world view and whether you are trying to
convert the world, or just using free software to do your own thing.

This is something that has been on my mind a lot lately, causing me to
write two articles on the topic:
"Proprietary Software and Linux: Good, Bad or Somewhere in Between?"
http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7677

"The Importance of Fitting In"
http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7685

-c