[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange

Brett Worth brett at worth.id.au
Mon Feb 15 22:09:30 MST 2010

On 02/16/2010 12:35 PM, Chris Smart wrote:

> He says:
> "We’ve been trying to get a working, open source based, cross platform
> calendaring system happening at Internode for years and years. And
> we’ve never managed it.
> There’s always something that doesn’t work right, or a need to run a
> plethora of ‘conduit’ tools between multiple calendar systems.

I think this is a key statement.  When they were using OSS they were not simply choosing
one solution and making that work but were rather allowing anything then using "conduits"
to connect them all together.

Now they've just thrown out all the choice and are using Exchange.  They could have had
Exchange in the mix with the other solutions and tried using the "conduits" with it.  The
problem would have been the same.

I think they could have chosen a different system and as long as it was mandated
corporately, like Exchange now seems to be,  would have worked better.

Brett