[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange

Nathan O'Sullivan nathan at mammoth.com.au
Mon Feb 15 21:16:50 MST 2010

On 16/02/10 14:22, Steve Walsh wrote:
> Alex Satrapa wrote:
>> I notice that the Internode article was very light on detailing how
>> open source products failed to satisfy.  No mention of products that
>> were tried, and specific implementation issues which caused problems
>> (you know, things that could go into feature requests or bug
>> reports).  A most unhelpful writeup that reads more like a Microsoft
>> PR piece than anything.
> I queried them (via twitter) about something like Zimbra Network
> Edition (which is built on openLDAP, postfix, mysql, etc), but
> apparently it didn't satisfy "critical needs". What those "critical"
> needs are, they didn't elaborate on, and very quickly changed the
> subject.

Where I work certainly isnt as big as Internode but we've done pretty
well with Zimbra. Their (proprietary) Outlook Connector  lets you talk
directly with Outlook (and clients that act like Outlook, like iPhone)

I've never attempted to use Zimbra calendar as a way to figure out
schedule conflicts though; Outlook+Exchange may work better there.

I also notice in their article that they talk about being cross platform
but basically state the deciding factor is that Exchange works well with
OSX and iPhone.

But I agree with the earlier comment - corporate, open-source friendly
software doesnt just appear from thin air. If Internode had just one
employee working on enhancing whatever their previous solution was for
all the years they weren't using Exchange it would probably do exactly
what they want by now.

Regards
Nathan