[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Mon Feb 15 20:22:47 MST 2010

Alex Satrapa wrote:
> I notice that the Internode article was very light on detailing how open source products failed to satisfy.  No mention of products that were tried, and specific implementation issues which caused problems (you know, things that could go into feature requests or bug reports).  A most unhelpful writeup that reads more like a Microsoft PR piece than anything.

I queried them (via twitter) about something like Zimbra Network Edition
(which is built on openLDAP, postfix, mysql, etc), but apparently it
didn't satisfy "critical needs". What those "critical" needs are, they
didn't elaborate on, and very quickly changed the subject.

When you start dragging "critical needs" into the reasoning, but not
willing to elaborate on them, then you're talking about lions and bears
and tigers (oh my!), and just avoiding whatever happened to make the
final product a foregone conclusion.

For all we know it may have come down to MS making a killer offer and
throwing SME's (subject matter experts) at the problem for bugger all,
in an effort to make Internode a MS poster child ("Internode is open
source friendly, and full of geeks, but even they couldn't find
something to beat Exchange.")

--
--==--
Steve Walsh, RHCE