[clug] Why the web has gone sour

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sun Feb 14 18:53:28 MST 2010

On 15/02/2010, at 10:57 , Geoff Swan wrote:

> Responsible thought is not encouraged
> enough, instead we legislate to protect us from having to think and
> make decisions - this is now extending online.

We really need to encourage "critical thinking" as part of the school syllabus.

Heck, for starters just get everyone to have a good read of "A List of Fallacious Arguments" - http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html

Then spend time at school reviewing the circus that we call Democracy in this country, or pulling articles from the news to have a look at how many of the false argument styles are used.

We could play, "False Argument Bingo" :)