[clug] Why the web has gone sour

Geoff Swan shinobi.jack at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 16:57:28 MST 2010

Perhaps the "souring" of the internet is related to its increased
accessability. Where once it was largely the domain of the
technologically literate now *everyone* has access and to a degree can
be heard. This is a good thing in that the internet is increasingly
useful as communication medium, however it now exposes people to ideas
and information they previously may not have come across and allows
people who agree with each other to collect into larger groups. This
cuts both ways, not all information is helpful and not all ideas (no
matter how popular) are good or even correct. The trend towards
sensationalism means that on average (it seems to me) it is the
sillier, less correct topics that get the greatest coverage, and
serious topics are not necessarily covered acurately "Never spoil a
good story with the truth". Responsible thought is not encouraged
enough, instead we legislate to protect us from having to think and
make decisions - this is now extending online. In many cases it is
increasingly difficult to decipher *quality* information from amongst
all the opinions. "if enough people say/believe the same thing perhaps
it is true" (works on discworld - not here)
The above being said though, I find that I am appreciating the
internet more and more. There is good information out there, and great
people. The internet can provide access to both. But like anything -
it requires common sense and critical thought to discern the
difference between bargain and scam, truth and popular opinion. I
don't think the internet has soured, there are just a lot more - how
do you say "laymen" - using it. (not that that is a bad thing)

Geoff