[clug] Why the web has gone sour

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 15:21:03 MST 2010

On 15 February 2010 09:05, Steve Walsh <steve at nerdvana.org.au> wrote:

> Lana Brindley wrote:
>

>> http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/why-the-web-has-gone-sour-20100214-nzo5.html
>>
>> Discuss.
>>

> "One of the articles of faith of the "open culture" movement is expressed
> in the aphorism, "Information wants to be free". Typically it is used as a
> justification for illegal file-sharing"
>
> Er...what now?

Yeah, I read that bit and went o.0 too.

What I find most interesting is that he seems to be coming from the idea
that the internet exists in order to make people financially prosperous.
When I think of the internet's purpose (for lack of a better word) though, I
think of it primarily as a communications tool. And that it does quite
admirably.

Possibly, the fact that people don't seem to be able to make money very
effectively using the internet is causing him to be a tad bitter? ;)

Cheers! Lana

There are lots of ways of being miserable, but there's only one way of being
comfortable, and that is to stop running round after happiness. If you make
up your mind  not to be happy there's no reason why you shouldn't have a
fairly good time.
 - Edith Wharton

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more