[clug] Remote Control and Capture with Digital (Still) Cameras

Danny Robson danny at blubinc.net
Thu Feb 11 05:37:16 MST 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 18:14:27 +1100
steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> I'd like to experiment with controlling a digital camera from a
> computer. i.e. more than just using the camera in USB Mass Storage
> mode, or swapping out the flash memory.
> [snip]
> From what I've read, this requires a camera with "PTP" support.

I'd heard about this in passing, and decided to have a quick play with
it tonight using my small Nikon D40.

I can say 'it worked for me' after setting PTP mode, and nothing about
it was particularly complex. Works quite reasonably as a substitute for
the built-in buttons. I can do some more experiments with other cameras
laying about if that would be useful.

To me, it looks incredibly interesting as a cheap intervalometer when
paired with a PDA.

- Danny