[clug] Article on building Linux 1080p media player + DVR for AU$600

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 00:56:28 MST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 6:19 PM, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> I've a mate who is interested in building a PVR, as am I.

Me too, but at the moment only in the abstract until funds are available.

> Are there any benefits to group purchases?
> [Downsides abound]

I suspect that a big difficulty might be the differing needs and
budgets of those interested. Some may want a box capable of silently
delivering SD content as perhaps a Myth front end while others might
want a combined front and backend box with HD and multiple tuners.
It's great that all sorts of setups are possible, but it would
probably make a group buy a hard thing to do.

Not that I'm suggesting not doing it, but bags not coordinating it. :-)

--
MC