[clug] .gvfs trouble

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sat Feb 6 03:51:07 MST 2010

Andrew Janke wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 18:55, Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au> wrote:
>>  Turning the camera off and then on will mount it OK, but
>> I am left with one stale camera icon on the desktop. BTW, is there
>> a way to redraw the desktop, as it may clear this icon?
>
> If you are gnomeish, then clicking anywhere on the desktop and
> pressing Ctrl-R will do the trick.  I don't think this will get around
> you camera problem though.

Ctrl-R redrew the desktop, but the icon did not go away. The item is *not*
in my ~/Desktop, not in 'mount', not sure where the item gets to the screen
from.

>> A worse problem (and the one that made me write this note) is that
>> timestamps on the camera do not show correctly and also copying as
>> 'cp -p' ends up with the wrong time.
>
> I have found time-stamps to be inconsistent for photos of flash media
> (no idea why).If you really want to set the dates of the files then I
> would write something in perl/python that pulls out the info from the
> EXIF headers and set it using 'touch -t <blah>' or its equivalent in
> perl/python.
>
> I use this bit of perl to extract "picasa comments" from JPG files for example:
>
> ---
>
> #! /usr/bin/env perl
>
> use Image::IPTCInfo;
>
> $i = "filename.jpg";
>
> # get the image caption (from Picasa)
> my $caption = new Image::IPTCInfo($i)->Attribute('caption/abstract');
>
> print STDOUT "Got Caption: $caption";
>
> ---

Thanks. I actually use exiftool (which I think uses the same perl modules)
to manipulate image data (e.g. insert GPS tags). The point is that the
emulated file structure does not get the correct timestamps, yet so far I
had no such problems with mass storage devices. I will stop tethering the
camera once I get a fast card reader and the problem will go away...

The whole gvfs thing looks flaky to me.

cheers

--
Eyal Lebedinsky	(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)