[clug] SheevaPlug alternatives?

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Dec 9 20:20:03 MST 2010

On 10/12/10 13:54, Carlo Hamalainen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My 1st generation SheevaPlug died yesterday after nearly a year of
> faithful 24/7 service.
>
> What alternatives are there today for a low power usage, silent home
> server? Mainly I would use it as a file server for media and backups
> so anything at least as powerful as a 1Ghz ARM cpu would be enough.

As much as I don't want to promote Apple products whilst they are
so keen on their iStore vendor-lockin software model, I can't help
looking at the Apple TV 2 ($129 off-the-self from Mac1 here in
Canberra) which has 1GHz ARM, 8GB Flash, USB, 10/100/1000 Ethernet
and Wi-Fi. Although it runs iOS (FreeBSD kernel), it can be jail-
broken, then run up SSH on it and off you go (we have one here doing
just that). No fan, integrated AC supply, small and cute. May also
run Linux one day soon...

Also has HDMI, in case you want to use it as an Internet TV device...
Also comes with an IR Remote Control: could be useful for something...

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.