[clug] DreamBook?

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Dec 2 17:06:27 MST 2010

On 03/12/10 10:34, Angus Gratton wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 17:20 +1100, Robert Edwards wrote:
>> Anyone on the list seen or have any opinions of the DreamBook Android
>> tablet currently being sold in Big-W for $188? 7" touchscreen, 256MB
>> RAM, 2GB SSD etc. etc.
>>
>> Worth buying?
>
> Not really.
>
> It appears to be the same WonderMedia WM8505 chipset as the Eken M001
> $99 tablet and a few of the others, just with more RAM.
>
> If that's the case, I've spent a lot of time messing with these things
> (I got Froyo to mostly run on mine last week) and they're not a
> particularly good device at $99, let alone $188.
>
> In fact, Ars Technica reviewed a similar (possibly same) model sold in
> the US @ $99US as the "worst gadget ever"
> http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/reviews/2010/11/worst-gadget-ever-ars-reviews-a-99-android-tablet.ars

Yep, the Maylong M150 reviewed by Ars Technica looks identical to the
DreamBook for sale in Big W. I'll stay away...

Congrats on getting Froyo going on the Eken M001. I still have my
SmartQ R7 running Ubuntu - clunky but does the job. I might be able
to make it to Dickson College next Tuesday. What time are you all
going to be there?

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.