[clug] HP DL380 unrecognisable disks

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Aug 20 20:34:24 MDT 2010

David Schoen <dave at lyte.id.au> writes:
> On 21 August 2010 00:04, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
>> David Schoen <dave at lyte.id.au> writes:
>
>>> Try "modprobe cciss" once you're booted into the live cd. My install of
>>> Ubuntu shows that module available but not loading by default.
>>
>> ....interesting.  Generally, udev would load the CCISS driver automatically if
>> it found supported hardware.
> [...]
>> Oh!  Wait!  David, your LiveCD: was it booted on a machine with a cciss card?
>> If not then naturally the driver wasn't loaded. :)
>
> I should, but haven't learnt how udev and automatic driver loading works at
> some point.

The short version is: udev globs through all the PCI, USB, and other unique
device identifiers based on the patterns given in the modules.  When one
matches udev loads it.

(Occasionally the kernel specifically requests a pattern, too, but otherwise
 the process is the same. :)

> My Ubuntu machine didn't have a cciss card, I pretty much only run
> RHEL/CentOS on servers and Ubuntu on my Laptop/Desktop. I can't say I was
> confident in my recomendation working, just confident that it wouldn't make
> it worse and may provide more insight.

No, it is perfectly sensible and all.  I just took a little while to work out
why cciss wasn't present in your LiveCD test and all. :)

        Daniel