[clug] New list?

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Thu Aug 19 07:10:08 MDT 2010

On 19/08/10 22:25, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Eyal Lebedinsky<eyal at eyal.emu.id.au>  writes:
>
>> I don't see your point. If we keep to the spirit of the original subject
>> (technical or not) then people can easily decide what thread to follow.
>
> I think this would hit problems when folks disagreed, honestly, about what the
> was in keeping with the spirit of the subject and what wasn't.

Sure, this will not lead to a perfect agreement, just to more staying on subject.

> You and I have already significantly disagreed, in the past, on what
> constitutes a reasonable part of a thread and not — and I believe that
> disagreement was in good faith, not bad, on both parts.
>
>> e.g. If the subject is "how do I get this TV tuner driver to work" and
>> you want to discuss a license issue then it probably does not belong
>> in the same thread. But it is OK on this list.
>
> What happens if, say, the license of that driver is unclear, and someone feels
> that it is important that is discussed?

I suggest: Discussed - yes. In this thread - probably not.

> It isn't like this is uncommon, either: the NVIDIA binary blob is pretty
> widely used...

But no, while the license issue is valid, a technical question about how
to get a driver going is mostly unrelated to the license. The discussion
is reasonable, but better done in a separate thread.

And my example here is about the often raised objection/acceptance of binary
-only drivers yada yada. A good, hot topic that will probably *not* help
the (virtual) OP getting their video going.

It is very common to see a thread, by the time it runs for a few dozen
posts, to be pretty much off topic for the OP. I often reread the original
item before participating in a thread if I fear that it lost its focus.

And I do see people open a new thread to take the discussion in a new
direction, something I appreciate.

>> And if I mention that a friend of mine "he has it running OK" and you
>> want to say that there are also women using Linux then it again should
>> go in another thread. But it is OK on this list.
>
> ...and I am sure that you see the lines as being pretty clear about what is
> and isn't "in the spirit of the thread"; so, by and large, do I.  The problem
> is that we disagree on those decisions.
>
> The obvious example, to which you refer, is previous discussion that included
> privilege and gender bias in the FOSS community, and CLUG specifically.

And let no one take this as an invitation to reopen it :-)

> This also ignores the harder part of my question: how do you propose that this
> is enforced?  How would offenders be penalized, and who would make the
> judgement call on that?

No no no no, I do not propose to enforce this is any way, just suggesting
that people keep it in mind. After all this is a positively anarchic list
of an anarchic group. No enforcers here that I know of.

>          Daniel

cheers and Good Night,
	Eyal

--