[clug] New list?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Aug 19 06:25:45 MDT 2010

Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au> writes:

> I don't see your point. If we keep to the spirit of the original subject
> (technical or not) then people can easily decide what thread to follow.

I think this would hit problems when folks disagreed, honestly, about what the
was in keeping with the spirit of the subject and what wasn't.

You and I have already significantly disagreed, in the past, on what
constitutes a reasonable part of a thread and not — and I believe that
disagreement was in good faith, not bad, on both parts.

> e.g. If the subject is "how do I get this TV tuner driver to work" and
> you want to discuss a license issue then it probably does not belong
> in the same thread. But it is OK on this list.

What happens if, say, the license of that driver is unclear, and someone feels
that it is important that is discussed?  It isn't like this is uncommon,
either: the NVIDIA binary blob is pretty widely used...

> And if I mention that a friend of mine "he has it running OK" and you
> want to say that there are also women using Linux then it again should
> go in another thread. But it is OK on this list.

...and I am sure that you see the lines as being pretty clear about what is
and isn't "in the spirit of the thread"; so, by and large, do I.  The problem
is that we disagree on those decisions.

The obvious example, to which you refer, is previous discussion that included
privilege and gender bias in the FOSS community, and CLUG specifically.

This also ignores the harder part of my question: how do you propose that this
is enforced?  How would offenders be penalized, and who would make the
judgement call on that?

        Daniel