[clug] Organiser for Stallman visit

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Aug 18 20:51:23 MDT 2010

On 19/08/10 12:32, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> On 19 August 2010 10:02, Robert Edwards<bob at cs.anu.edu.au>  wrote:
>> So, no-one has responded so far.
>>
>> I do have a guy interesting in helping arrange a Thursday night meeting
>> who is not on the CLUG list. Before I hand it over to him, I guess it
>> would be good to be able to let him know how many people are likely to
>> want to come to a Thursday evening talk on the 7th with RMS?
>>
>> Please get back to me directly if you are reasonably sure you'd come
>> along on that Thursday evening, and any further suggestions of things
>> you'd like to hear RMS talk about.
>
> I'd come along, I just wouldn't have a clue what to do regarding
> organising anything (I can probably help out though if given something
> specific to do rather than the catch-all "organise it").

Thanks Ivan and others who have indicated a willingness to "step-up".

I now have about 4 people interested in coming to a Stallman talk for
"CLUG" (or "CGLUG" - should include the GNU...). I expect more will
reply yet...

As far as what is required to be organised, we already have a venue,
date and initial target audience. What we really need is someone to
contact RMS beforehand and to be the contact should anyone need to
contact us. And this person will need to be able to discuss, sensibly,
with RMS about what topics people would like to hear him discuss (as
in not 'vi' and don't even utter the expletive phrase "Open Source"
within his earshot etc.).

Unlike the earlier public lecture on the Wednesday, this one is
intended to be a bit smaller and, probably, a bit more interactive.
(btw. if you want to attend the Wednesday public lecture, you need to
register:
http://www.acs.org.au/act/index.cfm?action=event&area=9002&temID=eventdetails&eveID=30175720809577
)

Might be nice to organise some nibblies and beverages (I believe that
RMS is _very_ particular about what brand of cola he will drink, so
someone needs to look into this).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.