[clug] Ubuntu Netbook Edition - simple question (hopefully)

Scott Ferguson prettyfly.productions at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 07:17:28 MDT 2010

 On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 20:43:32 +1000 Sanders King
<sanders_at_mupanda.com>  wrote:
> To: linux at lists.samba.org
> Subject: [clug] Ubuntu Netbook Edition - simple question (hopefully)
>
> Hey All,
>
> I recently tested Ubuntu Netbook within VirtualBox and liked many features
> especially the 'singleton' launch of applications. (i.e. If you try to
> launch an application a second time you just get focus put back to the
> already launched copy.)
>
> I thought that this would suit my forgetful grey-haired mother and so I
> installed Ubuntu 10.04 for her and then used Synaptic to install
> ubuntu-netbook-* and netbook-launcher-efl.  I thought that this would give
> me the same result as installing Ubuntu Netbook Edition, however I am not
> getting applications launched as singletons (and some other minor
> differences).  I have compared version numbers of the various bits to those
> in the VirtualBox install and I can't see any differences.
>
> It seems crazy to me reinstall Ubuntu Netbook Edition just to solve this
> problem (and go through another round of automatic updates).
>
> I Googled and came up with nothing useful.  Does anybody have any ideas?
>
> Cheers
>
> Sanders

Check that /etc/apt/sources.list is the same on both machines
On the working machine
#dpkg --get-selections > working_the_way_I_like_list
transfer the generated list to the non-working machine
(maybe check for obvious differences and change action to purge, or
remove the line- eg. build-essential, linux-headers-`uname -r` [if you
build guest additions])
#dpkg --set-selections < working_the_way_I_like_list
(I know there's a better way to do the next step - but I can't remember it)
#apt-get -u dselect-upgrade

Note: You probably should run "#apt-get upgrade" on both systems first
("#apt-get dist-upgrade" if you're running pinned mixed releases)

Cheers