[clug] [OT] Broadband clangers

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Mon Aug 16 20:53:57 MDT 2010

On 16/08/10 18:38, Ben Nizette wrote:

> On 14/08/2010, at 11:11 AM, steve jenkin wrote:
>>
>> 	Given that there is deep passion in the community over this
>> 	issue, just *how* do we (The Voters):
>> 	- define the question,
>> 	- debate the issue and
>> 	- decide the issue?
>
> FWIW on point 2 there just got this through on twitter (I know, I know):
>
> Senator Conroy on Hack tomorrow. Send any NBN/filter qns through to hack at abc.net.au #openinternet #ausvotes
>
> 	--Ben.

Why does the ABC insist that the Australian constituency interact
with their elected representatives and political leaders through a
privately owned and operated, foreign social media site? (which,
apparently (I don't know as I don't use it), now does targetted
advertising - something the ABC should be careful not to endorse).

Doesn't the ABC have enough resources to offer a local Australian
alternative? There are plenty of open-source implementations of this
service (which is, let's face it, very basic).

I'm uncomfortable about where this is going - clearly others aren't so.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.