[clug] [OT] Broadband clangers

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 12 07:24:54 MDT 2010

On 12/08/10 22:23, Mike Carden wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Scott Ferguson
> <prettyfly.productions at gmail.com>  wrote:
> </snip>An Ada polemic.
>
> Nice work Scott but no cigar.</grin>
>
> My personal opinion is that individual religious beliefs colour this
> discussion enough to make it hard to do. Though I'm glad I live in a
> society where we can differ on that and not often kill each other.
>
> I wonder whether Bob imagined where his comment might go.

Nope - I had no idea.

But, in case I was coming across as a rabid Liberal, I should say that
I have always voted Labor, but am beginning to think that living in the
safest Labor electorate in the country is not as exciting as living in
a marginal electorate, so I'll probably bat for the other side this time
around in the hope that others may do likewise and narrow the margin a
little. Both major parties have fresh candidates, so all are untested...

Also, I am unashamadley Christian, although, like Ivan, I do not think
that the Australian Christian Lobby are all that representative of my
beliefs. For more, see, for example, John 20:31:
( http://www.biblestudytools.com/john/passage.aspx?q=John+20:26-31 )

And, as for filtering the Internet, I am opposed to it.
  - The list of RC material should be publicised so that people know.
  - The ISPs should _only_ be allowed to report to Govt./Law enforcement
	sites that their customers are visiting from the RC list and not
	any other sites (yes, this means material can get through...)
  - The RC list should be updated carefully, with public scrutiny
  - Linking to sites on the RC list should not be illegal but any such
	links should (legally) carry suitable warnings.
  - People found to have RC material in their possession should be
	prosecuted.
  - The Govt. should assist ISPs to offer clients a set of age
	appropriate child-friendly feeds, either for free or at modest
	cost. This should optionally be offered as a black-/white-list
	so we clients can implement it locally and customise it to suit.
This may be a naive way to ban RC material, but its the best I can come
up with so far and avoids a mandatory filter.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.