[clug] Vaguely off topic: iPeds and other Android tablets - availability and comparisons to that Apple one

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 05:25:43 MDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 9:10 PM, David Austin <david at d-austin.net> wrote:

> However if you know a little more than the average about
> technology then Apple is not for you.

That's an innocent and simplistic view that I won't leave
unchallenged. While I sympathise with the idea that Apple's target
market is people who will pay for form over function and who love the
fact that (most of) function just follows... it's a bit silly to
suggest that Apple users are not tech savvy.

Have you been to a FOSS conf in the last 5 years? Count the MacBooks.
FOSS devs *love* Apple. Look at the 'core Apple devs. These people are
not writing Hello World. Their philosophy may not match yours, but
they aren't stupid.

It happens that I soldered up an Apple IIe when doing so was True Hard
Core. I own an iPod and a (dead) G3 Powerbook. I respect Apple. Apple
do some good stuff and some not so good stuff. To suggest that Apple
is not for the technically savvy is very very funny indeed.

--
MC