[clug] OT: Solar power recommendations and advice

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Tue Apr 20 22:08:48 MDT 2010

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 03:27:06 +0000 (UTC)
Felix Karpfen <felix.karpfen at gmail.com> wrote:

> 3 years ago PV panels that used mono-crystalline silicon were
> considered the best that were commercially available in Australia
> (and were priced accordingly). Since then thin amorphous silicon
> films have become readily available. These are much cheaper to
> produce and hence systems based on them ought to be cheaper to
> install.

I don't know about price, but I believe the thin film ones perform
better than the mono-crystalline ones both in hot weather as well as
when its cloudy. They are however larger in size so you need
more north facing roof area for the same nominal output.

Chris
cyeoh at ozlabs.org