[clug] OT: Solar power recommendations and advice

Keith Goggin keith.goggin at bigpond.com
Tue Apr 20 18:06:33 MDT 2010

matt andrews wrote:
> On 20 April 2010 09:47, Peter Barker <pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au> wrote:
>
>> Domestically generated power
>> from solar *should* reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and the more widespread
>> the better.  Whether it's the best use of that money is another matter.
>>

> Quite so.  In terms of the large-scale electricity problem (rapidly
> reducing emissions from the grid), the cost of solar PV is far higher
> than other options.
>
> To anyone interested in these issues I recommend this (long) analysis
> by Peter Lang:
> http://bravenewclimate.com/2010/01/09/emission-cuts-realities/

Thanks Matt, Peter Lang's paper provides a little objectivity on a
complex matter that is either not well understood or is seriously
mis-represented by far too many people in the world.

Lang's conclusions [P23] are:-

"Business as Usual (mostly coal) is the least cost option but has the
highest CO2 emissions.
The Nuclear power option will enable the largest cut in CO2-e emissions
from electricity generation.
The Nuclear option is the only option that can be built quickly enough
to make the deep cuts required by 2050.
The Nuclear option is the least cost of the options that can cut
emissions sustainably.
Wind and solar are the highest cost ways to cut emissions.
A mixture of solar thermal and wind power is the highest cost and has
the highest avoidance cost of the options considered. Mixing these
technologies does not reduce the cost, it increases the cost.
The results are sensitive to the input assumptions and input data, but
the ranking of the options, and therefore the conclusions, are robust to
the changes of inputs tested."

And from <http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/04/21/2878385.htm>
today we have:-

"Meanwhile an audit has found Federal Government programs to tackle
climate change have been poorly planned, costly and in some cases have
failed.

The Audit Office report says the Greenhouse Gas Abatement Program has
achieved only 30 per cent of its original emissions reduction goal.

The Audit Office has also revealed that the cost of the solar panel
rebate scheme has blown out to about $1 billion.

The Environment and Climate Change departments are considering some of
the office's recommendations"

All of this is based on a yet unproven assumption that anthropogenic CO2
is causing or will cause dangerous global warming, a matter hotly
disputed by at least some eminent scientists.