[clug] OT: Solar power recommendations and advice

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Tue Apr 20 00:23:34 MDT 2010

Michael Still wrote:

> It is my understanding that you can't just turn coal power plants up
> and down... I believe they normally run at the maximum output required
> in the daily cycle, and various companies buy the unneeded power at a
> cheaper rate.
 From my hazy days of Engineering school. Coal powerplants are all
power, all the time. They are even known to produce more nuclear fallout
than a safely running nuclear powerplant, but I digress.

> (In other words, I've heard of power contracts which _require_ a
> certain power draw in order to soak up that excess generation.)
That's why places like Canberra Times are "ACTEW energy partners". They
might only draw 50Kw between 9am and 5pm, but come 10pm, you're looking
at that big press hall drawing enough power to make a computer monitor
on the other side of the building flicker just from the EMF....

--
--==--
Steve Walsh, RHCE