[clug] cheap pvr

Angus Gratton indogus at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 17:24:20 MDT 2010

Hi Hank,

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Hank J. Doll <hankjay at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Gary says he uses it with Mint 8.  My question; does it require any special
> drivers or does it work straight out of the box.  Furthermore does
>  time-shifting work better.

The time-shifting thing is entirely dependent on the software. The DVB
tuner cards (and sticks) pretty much just take the MPEG stream of
real-time DVB data from the airwaves and decode it as an MPEG stream
to your computer - the computer works out what it wants to do with
that firehose of video data.

I had an Avermedia Volar and it worked straight out of the box on a
two year old Mythbuntu install, so any recent kernel should be fine.
There used to be a variant (Volar X) that didn't work, but apparently
it's been supported since 2.6.28, so I think you should be fine
regardless.

- Angus