[clug] Distributed Administration

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 20:23:44 MDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 20:57, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
>>  - Cluster SSH (http://sourceforge.net/projects/clusterssh/) *
>
> You already said you don't like this, but just to reinforce that: this is not
> a software management solution, this is a (bad, IMO) tool for doing the same
> thing on multiple machines.

+1 'erky-poo' is the only word(s) that come to mind regarding doing
this. There are just so many cases where this will break and cause
more pain. The only use I can think of for this is for doing things
like looking for a file in /tmp across all your 1000 cluster nodes.

>>  - Puppet      (http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/)
>
> I have used this.  It has ... issues, but is presently the best solution in
> the space, so far as I can tell.  It has good funding in the company behind
> it, an open philosophy, and is widely used by big companies.

+1. I too have used/tried it and the only advantage I can see over
cfengine2 is that it has debian package management integrated. You do
this via a script in cfengine2. I too found 'inconsistencies' in what
I expected it to do (from docco) and what was happening.