[clug] Repairing bootloader

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Wed Sep 23 22:25:30 MDT 2009

> Hi guys,
> I know I've left this til the last minute, but I'd like to have my
> dual-boot machine back up and running before the LUG so I can SSH into
> it for some troubleshooting by the gurus.
>
> I recently installed Windows 7 (yeah yeah, I know), and of course the
> installer clobbered GRUB. Is there an easy way to fix this from a
> LiveCD/USB? Every time I try I seem to destroy Windows' bootloader
> too.
>
> My setup is this:
> Sda1 is Windows
> Sda2 is Ubuntu
>
> I'm assuming the MBR is on /dev/sda, Windows bootloader
> (bootmgr/ntldr) is on /dev/sda1 and GRUB needs to be installed on
> /dev/sda.
>
> What's the best way to do this?

There are probably a couple of ways.

1. make a grub boot disk (man grub)
2. download 'Super Grub Disk", about 3 MBytes

Both allow you to boot off the /boot/grub/menu/lst of your second
partition and wont do anything to your mbr

I am really not sure what the problem is, if you do a #grub-install
hd0 you will put the grub back on the mbr.

If you want your windows selectable, I thought that it was only a
matter of adding that to menu.lst

The Super Grub Disk also 'fixes' windows boot sectors but I am not
into that, yet.

--

Owen