[clug] Heart rate monitors and GNU/Linux

Nathan Rickerby rickerby at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 08:45:48 MDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 04:06:41PM +1000, Edward Lang wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Steven Hanley <sjh at svana.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:58:00AM +1000, BAXTER,Adam wrote:
> >> Yikes!
> >> That's not cheap.
> >> https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=349&ra=true
> >
> > It is actually rather cheap. Considering it has a pretty good HRM and a GPS
> > in it. The Polar 710 HRM costs over AUD $500 and does not have a GPS and
> > does not work with linux. Polar does have somewhat better trainingn software
> > than Gamrin, but as non of  the software from either mob works with linux I
> > got the linux compatible device.
> >

> Polar does have the advantage of greater market share and hence (or
> perhaps because of?) wider compatibility with fitness devices, such as
> treadmills / rowing machines.
>
> With all the accessories something like the Polar RS800CX probably
> wouldn't leave much change from A$1000, if any.

I have a s720i, it works fine with Linux.  I use s710 [0] to connect
to the watch, it allows you to configure the settings, sync the time,
grab files and various other things (more than you can with the official
software).  It also has some utilities for converting and manipulating
the data files.

I use sportstracker to summarise and view the files.  The interface
is a bit clicky, but everything is stored in an XML file which simple
enough to work with directly.  The polar software has more features and
apparently it works under wine (not the usb stuff, you still need s710
for that) I haven't bothered with it though.

Mail me off list if you want specific information about the s720i, but
briefly - it cost about 300AUD in 2005.  I primarily use it for cycling
with cadence and speed sensors on a few bikes.  It's more bulky than a
dress watch but not much bigger than rugged-style watches, it's practical
enough that I wear it day to day.  The battery lasts for a decent amount
of time, I get at least the advertised 1.5 years with regular use.
It stores 11+ hours of speed/alt/HR data at 5 second sample intervals.

0. http://s710.googlecode.com/