[clug] Disable IPV6 in a linked kernel

Brett Worth brett at worth.id.au
Mon Sep 21 00:11:45 MDT 2009

I had an interesting problem today that had no obvious solution.

A system I'm using has a custom linux kernel which I can not easily rebuild or relink.
This kernel has almost all its device drivers linked in including ipv6 and net-pf-10.  I
would like to disable ipv6 but I've only ever done that by messing with the modprobe.conf
file to prevent these modules from loading.

Is there any way to turn off ipv6 when there is no module?  A kernel command line
parameter?  Googling for an answer just results in a million suggestions to not load the
module.

Brett