[clug] Scope of list

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Sep 15 23:20:29 MDT 2009

Brad Hards <bradh at frogmouth.net> writes:
> On Wednesday 16 September 2009 13:59:18 Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> Gah.  The last couple of weeks have messed with my head; I had a twitch of
>> "...but I didn't /mean/ to attack you" when you said ‘defend’ rather than
>> ‘discuss’ or whatever.  *sigh*
>
> I don't think it was an intentional insult, but it probably does reflect at
> least some of the members of this list.

Do you refer to my comments, or Robert's, here?  It could be either, and my
guess is the later, but...

> Your approach comes across to me as somewhat superior, and that is adversely
> affecting my perception of your intentions. That is reflected in my comments
> below.
>
>> ...Jacinta, I have not done much by way of presentations around the place,
>> etc.  On the other hand, a quick check of some stats tells me that I have
>> been subscribed for around 1 year, 16 weeks, 1 day, 9 hours, 30 minutes,
>> and 58 seconds, give or take propagation time.[1]
>
> Of which this (and the other statistics I've omitted), are an example.

Hmmm.  Well, I confess that being able to quickly pull up some stats on the
list was mostly self-interest, and given that the results quite surprised me
I figured they might interest others too.  I don't really think that being
able to generate those is, well, anything, really.  Anyone could do it, after
all...

Anyway, rather than trying to guess why that comes across to you as superior,
which I wouldn't have guessed, can you explain?  I would rather communicate my
intentions accurately too, after all...

[... things I agree with, but have no comment on ...]

>> *nod*  For what it is worth, like David Schoen, my reason for being here is
>> that it is a good list, with interesting discussion, and without some of
>> the social issues that make other lists less interesting to me.
>
> I think it was a good list. Unfortunately there has been a radical loss of
> trust in some of the people posting. I'm not sure how to fix that.

I think the question has already been asked, what sort of trust?  Um, and even
if you don't know how to fix it, do you have any guesses?

        Daniel

   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.