[clug] [wet] Re: Scope of list

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Tue Sep 15 22:46:52 MDT 2009

On 16/09/2009, at 14:30 , Brad Hards wrote:

> I think it was a good list. Unfortunately there has been a radical
> loss of
> trust in some of the people posting. I'm not sure how to fix that.

Trust between people is something that happens at the person to person
level.  So your statement be better expressed as, "I have lost trust
in some of the people posting."  Without any description of what trust
you lost and who lost your trust, there's no way to seek a remedy (in
the medical sense, not the legal sense). The usual remedy for a
difference of opinions is to either change your opinion or agree to
disagree. Censorship is not a remedy for lack of trust.

Did someone post bad technical advice? Did someone express an opinion
that made you squirm in your seat? Did someone misquote you and turn
your words to support a cause you have no belief in?

> Perhaps we just need a clug list, to coordinate the meetings and
> then just
> send people to non-locale specific lists. Perhaps we need an invite-
> only list
> for random technical discussions.

Or just delete the topics you know will offend you? Encourage people
to get into the habit of tagging their posts with [wet] when they're
talking about sociological/political opinion?

Alex