[clug] Mobile broadband for linux?

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 01:22:01 MDT 2009

Just one thing with using a USB 3G modem with Linux. Mine is from '3'
and while it works, recharging the credit on the thing is rather
tricky. I pretty much have to go into a 3 outlet with the stick and
plug it into their Windows machine to get it to go.

The Windows app gets access to an SMS message sent to the stick with
the authorisation code or some such that needs to be supplied to their
web site before the thing activates. This means I can't just add
credit via their web site and use it unless I find a Windows machine
somewhere, plug in the stick, install the software, run the app and
get my credit acknowledged.

Has anyone come up with a way to do this that doesn't involve using a
Windows machine or a Mac?

Thanks,
MC