[clug] Open Source Software's Dirty Little Secret

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Fri Sep 11 18:54:02 MDT 2009

Jacinta Richardson wrote:

> To make a difference we need to be more open minded and inclusive.
> Additionally, it'd probably help to arrange a more formal mentor ship program
> for many projects.  Many men benefit from informal mentor ships from friends
> they know in person or make on-line; a more formal program would help those
> coming in without such initial contacts.

I'm only going to comment one this one point. This mentoring, for either
men or women, is not as common as your comment would lead one to
believe. It should be easier now that it was when I was starting out. I
simple read everything I could lay my hands on, didn't know what I
should have been studying or doing and this left many holes in my
knowledge which I had to fill in much later. Your conclusion however is
correct, in my opinon, it would help to have a (semi-)formal
mentoring/tutoring program to get into the development on an initial
project or FOSS in general.

Jeff.