[clug] Open Source Software's Dirty Little Secret

Andrew Boyd facibus at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 19:03:23 MDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 10:54 AM, jm <jeffm at ghostgun.com> wrote:

> I'm only going to comment one this one point. This mentoring, for either men
> or women, is not as common as your comment would lead one to believe. It
> should be easier now that it was when I was starting out. I simple read
> everything I could lay my hands on, didn't know what I should have been
> studying or doing and this left many holes in my knowledge which I had to
> fill in much later. Your conclusion however is correct, in my opinon, it
> would help to have a (semi-)formal mentoring/tutoring program to get into
> the development on an initial project or FOSS in general.

Hi Jeff,

if you know of anyone that is interested in setting up a structure for
informal mentoring (and I can see the irony there, yep) there are a
couple of organisations that offer a mentor/mentoree
meetup/introduction service - IxDA (http://www.ixda.org/about.php) and
IAI (http://iainstitute.org/en/members/mentoring/mentoring_program.php)
- this unstructured approach may serve as a model.

Best regards, Andrew

--
---
Andrew Boyd