[clug] Booting Problem

Rod Peters rpeters at pcug.org.au
Thu Oct 29 17:48:31 MDT 2009

On Thursday 29 October 2009 18:00:04 you wrote:
> Re: [clug] linux Digest, Vol 82, Issue 21
>  From: keith sayers <keiths at apex.net.au>
>  To: linux at lists.samba.org
>
> On Monday 19 October 2009 05:00:03 rod peters wrote:
> > Of equal concern is what killed the BIOS in the original mobo ?  If it
> > was a Win virus, then perhaps anticipate more of the same.
>
>         This point intrigues me - how is it possible?  Something of the
>  sort may be  happening - I hope to have Steve Jenkin here again tomorrow
>  (Thursday) and discuss recent developments.  I use only Linux to login to
>  the internet but do then sometimes remove the Linux hard drive and replace
>  it with a Win 98 drive.

The BIOS in most ITC devices is a writable area and some Windows viruses are
known to interfere not only with the mainboard BIOS but also those in HDD etc.
This phenomema started in the early 90s, IIRC and Win 98 would almost
certainly be susceptible to it.

>  Could a virus somehow get from one to the other?

After doing its work in Win 98, a virus would not need to transfer to the
Linux HDD.  Whether it actually could I'll leave to others to advise.

In any case, many hardware factors may prevent a mainboard from booting and
without some technical tests it might be premature to declare the BIOS killed.

>         Incidentally one reason for making such a switch is disatisfaction
>  with the  Linux database system Base.  Does anyone else use it with whom I
>  might exchange points of view?

By way of clarification, I assume that you refer to the Base module of
OpenOffice, with which I have negeglible experience.  If so, then I suggest
that more information is required on two counts:

1.      which version of OpenOffice - I think 3.n.n expanded the capability of
Base
somewhat.

2.      briefly, what functions are unsuitable.

Rod