[clug] After the InstallFest is over...
alexsatrapa at mac.com
Wed Oct 21 17:51:29 MDT 2009
On 22/10/2009, at 10:00 , steve jenkin wrote:
> That's 42 hours to download a 600Mb CD image
> Images and MP3's become challenging, video out of the question.
> Software downloads have to be carefully calculated...
> You always notice big web pages downloading and cancel 'flash'
1) Turn off images (except for sites that need them such as internet
2) Turn off Flash and other plugins
3) Learn very quickly that most sites that use Flash aren't worth
4) Understand that dialup is good for email and the occasional
internet banking session
5) Don't try to use dialup to download stuff, that's what CLUG
meetings and FireWire drives are for!
If you're trying to save money, you have to make sacrifices. If you
give up TV, you'll find you have more time to be social. Part of your
social activities could include attending CLUG meetings where people
can bring you the latest ISOs/mirrors on disk so you can copy them at
over 50MB/s - much faster than any broadband or Ethernet network.
Actually, here's a challenge for all of you: turn off images and
Flash, and see how many sites you use on a regular basis actually have
worthwhile content. It's amazing how quickly you change your browsing
habits. Google is good, Daringfireball is good, most Microsoft sites
break, as does Facebook.
More information about the linux