[clug] Booting problem

Rod Peters rpeters at pcug.org.au
Tue Oct 20 20:55:25 MDT 2009

On Wednesday 21 October 2009 05:00:04 linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> Re: [clug] Booting problem
>  From: steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au>
>  To: linux at lists.samba.org
>
> Rod Peters wrote on 18/10/09 8:47 AM:
> > The fact that Keith has put the HDD in a different computer (read
> > different mainboard) leads me to believe it is probably an initrd issue.
> >  openSUSE puts the required PATA and/or SATA modules only in the initrd.
> >  Options are:
> >
> > put it back with the original mobo and use Yast to *add* the relevant
> > modules (which does not appear to be an option in this instance)  Had to
> > do this myself recently.
> >
> > find another mainboard having same PATA controller
> >
> > boot from CD/DVD and select "repair installed system".  That will do a
> > fairly thorough review of the config files and should rebuild initrd.
>
> <snip>
>
> > Rod
>
> I trotted around to Keiths' this afternoon and had a look, but knowing
> little of openSUSE hit a road-block.
>
> The problem is indeed with 'initrd' lacking the right disk drivers.
>
> The old Mobo is defunct - not an option going back.
> I turned off SATA in the BIOS on the new HDD, but that didn't help.

<snip>

> My current plan is download a fresh SuSE 11.1 disk and go visit Keith
> again tomorrow afternoon.
>
> Anyone have any pointers or further suggestions for me?
> [esp. URL's talking about repair/rescue. I didn't try the 'customise' or
> 'expert' options.]

Keith had phoned me prior to my reading your message (makes note to try to
stop KMail marking everything as read immediately)

I enquired re make/model of dead mobo.  I'm fairly confident that Keith has
read that correctly and find that it has a KT600 chipset, using the PATA
controller in the south bridge.

I have a more upmarket mobo utilising the same chipset, which does not get
daily use.  Good prospect that openSUSE would load correctly if the drive was
plugged to this and from their should be a relatively simple task to add in
modules for prospective replacment mobo via Yast admin tool.

Suggest that Keith, Steve & self liase re time & place to do that.

> cheers
> steve

Rod