[clug] After the InstallFest is over...

Felix Karpfen felix at spodzone.org.uk
Wed Oct 21 15:01:39 MDT 2009

Peter Barker wrote:

> Cheaper $-wise, assuming you're not valuing your time at anything (which
> may be reasonable).
>
> iinet is $20 for the dialup you describe, $30 for ADSL 2+.

Hard data from a CLUG-lurker - who received *great* help from CLUG
members in his recent switch from "dial-up" to "broadband":

Dial-up
=======

Supplied by IINet (Special deal for ex-WebOne customers):

Monthly dialup fee  		$9.90 for first 20 hours access;
				$1.00/hour for additional access;

Telstra phone charges		$0.21/per call

Given that I was highly organised, did most of my "Internet reading"
offline, rarely exceeded the 20 hours access and generally managed to
connect to IINet on the first dial-up call, my total monthly costs
rarely exceeded $18.00.

Broadband
=========

ADSL2+ supplied by TPG

Monthly fee			$29.90

Additional phone charges	$0

My download quota is 3 Gbytes peak time plus 7Gbytes offpeak.  After
exceeding my quota (which has yet to happen) the download speed is
throttled.

Comments:
========

Many of the URLs, that I visit, make lavish use of features that come
into their own when they are downloaded at broadband speeds.  Some -
features (such as UTube and RealPlayer downloads) were previously
inaccessible and have now become viable.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)