[clug] pdflatex regressions? [SEC=PERSONAL]

Roppola, Antti - BRS Antti.Roppola at daff.gov.au
Wed Oct 14 19:31:43 MDT 2009

Unfortunately my personal experience is that anything that is simpler
than .tex is typesetting incomplete. OTOH, if you don't need a full
typesetting environment, near enough is likely to be good enough.

Word processing documents can be vague on structure. SVG will expect you
to handle a bunch of stuff yourself.

I have had some good results with manually coding Postscript and using
external apps to generate nested content and then importing them into
pdflatex. FYI, we ended up using Perl to generate and fill the .tex
templates.

Manually coding up Poscript to do things like sensibly break items
across columns (i.e. so the sub-heading wasn't the last element in a
column with its child entry alone at the top of the next) gave me a new
appreciation of why one should use a library to do this sort of thing.

We tinkered with Cocoon once, but I've not looked at it for years.

Cheers,

Antti