[clug] ARS: Ubuntu 9.10 boot optimizations: 5 second startup with an SSD

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 20:17:44 MDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 13:07, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
>> Well having just installed the current alternate karmic beta on a Core
>> i7 920 with 30GB OCX vertex SSD, I can report a power-on to completed
>> login of 30 seconds...  That includes POST, GRUB delay, me typing in a
>> user/password.
>>
>> Me == impressed.
>
> +1!

Well given that this is so much fun, I just did a more complete test
from when I pressed the power on button....

Total time to useable desktop == 33 seconds.

But when you break this down

POST/pretty MSI splash screen etc: 10 seconds

Time until first "linux" thing seen: 21 seconds

So that means the karmic boot itself took about 12 seconds.

What is amusing about all this is that the thing is so quick that by
the time the screen wakes up (switches between VGA/DVI, etc) the thing
is already 1/2 through the ubuntu boot, I had to find an old CRT that
ONLY does VGA to do the above.