[clug] October CLUG Programmers' Special Interest Group meeting

Daniel Black daniel.subs at internode.on.net
Wed Oct 7 03:36:14 MDT 2009

Just for the record the abstract that didn't quite make it to CLUG in a box
is......(at the end)

On Tuesday 06 October 2009 09:00:02 Paul Wayper wrote:
> 	CLUG Programmers' Special Interest Group Meeting - 8th October 2009
> 	===================================================================
>
> Date:		8th October 2009 (Second Thursday of the month)
>
> Time:		19:00 - 21:00 (or when it finishes)
>
> Speaker:	Daniel Black
>
> Abstract:

> Venue:		Room N101
> 		Computer Science and Information Technology Building
> 		North Road
> 		The Australian National University
>
> 		See http://clug.org.au/ for more directions and a map
>
> Food/drink:	Pizza and soft drink/juice. Come hungry, and bring
> 		about $6 to cover the cost of your share if you
> 		want some.
>
> If you would like to give a talk at a future meeting, please email me.

Not another damn password! It's the 21st Century after all!

A combination of username and password are still the building blocks of many
computer authentication mechanisms. The rising number of username/password
combinations for each user causes increased enterprise costs, frustration and
in a global web 2.0+ community, decreased participation. Client certificate
authentication can be used, developed and retrofitted to various web
applications and Transport Layer Security (TLS) services as a common
authentication mechanism without some of the username and password costs.

In this talk Daniel will be covering how certificate authentication works and
how to integrate it with your web applications. (This talk is a preparation
for Daniel's talk at the Open Source Developers Conference 2009).

---

Daniel Black